When purchasing a new garage door, price is often one of the most important factors in the decision-making process. After all, you don’t want to commit to a garage door that is outside your budget. So how do you know how much a garage door is going to cost?
What Type Of Garage Door Do You Like?
Each type of garage door comes with different tracks and space requirements, and therefore will have additional costs involved.
In the residential market, there are three main types of doors available:
- Ideal for those looking to use the garage for storage.
- You can park closer to the door.
- Roller doors can fit a variety of garage styles and dimensions.
- Automated options are simple to use.
- Available for every budget.
- A Single Panel door will be installed as one large door that slides up into the area above your car.
- A Sectional door comprises multiple panels that join together on hinges that allow the door to bend.
- Require driveway space to open.
- One solid section is lifted with a spring system.
The Space Required For Your Door
It’s important to keep in mind different door types require additional clearances. For example, roller doors require the most headroom out of all garage doors, while a tilt door takes up the least amount of headroom. Therefore, if your garage doesn’t have the required clearance, it may need to be modified, with extra costs to be incurred.
The Size Of Your Garage Door
All garage doors are made to measure and are made to fit your new or existing opening. New homes are often built with the following sized garage door openings:
- Single size: 2100mm high x 2400mm wide.
- Double size: 2100mm high x 4800mm wide.
You can also customise the size of your garage door, which is an excellent option if you own a larger vehicle or require extra storage space. The general rule is the bigger the garage door, the more the cost will increase. So it’s important to keep this in mind when budgeting for a garage door.
Motorised Or Automated Garage Door Benefits
There are many advantages to choosing to have a motorised or automated garage door. However, opting for a motorised or automated door rather than a manual garage door will increase the cost of the garage door. Each type of garage door comes with options and has the following added benefits:
Ease of use:
- Never have to worry about getting out of the car to get into the garage.
- Simply press a button, and you’ll be able to quickly drive into your garage and lock the door behind you.
- You can have peace of mind knowing only people who have access to the remote will be able to gain entry into your garage.
- You do not need to leave your vehicle at night to open the garage door.
Available for any style:
- Automate any kind of garage door.
- No matter what you’ve got or what you’re planning to install, it can be motorised to make your life easier.
The Material You Choose
Steel is the more popular garage door material option since it is cheaper and more durable. Its exceptional strength adds a level of security to your home. Standard garage doors made from Colorbond Steel come in a wide range of colours. Some Colorbond doors are also able to be powder-coated. The downside with steel garage doors is that they rust more easily, especially in humid climates. Consider the general climate in your location before choosing this material.
Garage doors are also commonly made from aluminium. This is a much more lightweight option than steel. Another plus is that it does not rust easily. However, since aluminium gets dents and scratches more easily, homeowners should take great care not to damage their aluminium door garages. Aluminium generally costs more than steel.
Timber is another excellent material for garage doors. It offers a natural look, especially if you are aiming for a certain style for your home exterior. Your choices vary from modern to rustic, depending on the timber used. This, reasonably, affects your costs.
Get In Touch Today
At Doors Direct, we boast an established history of successfully installing a diverse range of residential garage doors in the greater Brisbane area. So no matter what type of garage door you want, Doors Direct can help you achieve it.
You can trust our ability to deliver quality products at a competitive price.