Each year in May, the International Door Association (IDA) recognises Garage Door Safety Month. Garage Door Safety Month is important for homeowners and the door and access systems industry. Ensuring the safety of your garage door is crucial in maintaining a secure home environment. In celebration of this month, we’re sharing four essential steps to follow for optimal garage door safety.
While the team at Doors Direct recognise the importance of garage door safety all year round, we wanted to take this opportunity to share the tips below to educate and help you become familiar with the potential safety risks and how to avoid them.
1. Look and do a regular visual checkup.
One of the most effective ways to ensure garage door safety is by conducting regular visual checkups. Inspect your garage door for any signs of wear, damage, or misalignment. Make sure to assess the following components:
- Springs: Check for rust, gaps, or other visible signs of wear.
- Cables: Look for fraying, kinks, or other damage.
- Rollers: Examine for chipping or cracks and ensure they are properly aligned.
- Tracks: Make sure they are straight and free of debris.
- Hinges: Check for loose or missing screws.
By regularly performing these visual inspections, you can identify potential issues and address them before they escalate.
2. Listen and be alert.
Your sense of hearing can also play a vital role in garage door safety. Be alert to any unusual sounds your garage door may produce while opening or closing. Common noises to watch out for include grinding, squeaking, or rattling. These sounds could indicate a problem with the door’s hardware or alignment. If you notice any unusual noises, contact the Doors Direct team to diagnose and resolve the issue.
3. Learn and Educate your children.
Educating your children about the potential dangers associated with garage doors is important. Teach them the following safety precautions:
- Never place their fingers or hands near the garage door or its hardware.
- Keep a safe distance from the garage door while it’s in motion.
- Avoid playing with the garage door opener or remote control.
- Never attempt to race under a closing garage door.
Educating your children about garage door safety can help prevent accidents and injuries.
4. Remember, Let professionals do the repairs.
If your garage door requires repairs or maintenance, it’s essential to consult a professional technician rather than attempting to fix the issue on your own. Garage door systems, especially the springs, can be dangerous if handled incorrectly. The team at Doors Direct have the experience, knowledge, and tools to repair or service your garage door safely and effectively.
Following these four essential steps ensures optimal garage door safety and protects your family from potential hazards. Remember to perform regular visual checkups, listen for unusual sounds, educate your children, and consult a professional for any necessary repairs. You can contribute to a safer home environment during Garage Door Safety Month and beyond with diligence and awareness.